My business partner and I bought a new “All in one” Office jet pro today. We learned the L7600 has a “Direct Digital Filing”. This makes a great replacement to our online virtual Fax machine. What the feature does not do, is take faxes and directly send them to the shared folder as a digital doc. You have to scan the doc using the digital filing button, which then converts the pages to a PDF or JPEG doc. (still pretty cool) Perhaps in the next version the HP Office jet pro will allow for the faxes to be received (not printed) converted to PDF and directly sent to the shared folder all in one shot like our virtual fax machine. I suppose we could have this feature now if paid $7-12k for the Big office All in one device. The 7600 is a pretty great value for only $400 plus the $100 rebate.
For those of you that might be having problems getting the Direct Digital Filing to work, we had to make an adjustment to the network path. For some reason the HP L7600 would not work using the Computer name (hostname) we could only use the IP address of PC hosted that hosted the shared folder. Example \\192.168.1.200\Fax Don’t ask me why it works with the IP address and not the PC name. I contacted HP live chat support about this and the tech I dealt with did not have an answer. They did not suggest to use the IP, I put in the IP address to try it and it worked. Perhaps someone with Some IP knowledge can shed some light on this. No Firewall we’re turned on.
For those of you that are having issues connecting the Direct Digital Filing to your shared folder I found another customers chat session with an HP tech. This info is straight from the manual so I don’t know if it will help you any more than the manual that you have. I did learn from their chat that Direct Digital Filing is not compatible with ADS (ACTIVE DIRECTORY SYSTEM). I wish HP would be more forthcoming about the non compatibilities of their networked products.
Reposted chat found on the web:
Here are the detailed information about the “Direct Digital Filing”.
Here is the information on Direct Digital Filing Feature and settings :
DIRECT DIGITAL FILING FEATURE :
The Digital Filing feature allows users to scan documents from the all-in-one and store them in a folder on the Windows computer without having the HP Software installed or running. Feature available for Officejet Pro L76 & L77 Series only. Direct Digital Filing is a feature that allows you to scan and save a document to a folder and share documents with other people on your network. You can set up Direct Digital Filing speed-dial by using the embedded Web server on your computer.
## (THIS FEATURE WONT WORK IN WINDOWS SERVER WHERE ACTIVE DIRECTORY SYSTEM IS INSTALLED (ADS) OR IN THE DOMAIN CONTROLLER).
Step : One
1) Create a folder in either system drive or any other drive on the computer and share the folder, This folder is used to store files that are scanned by using the Direct Digital Filing feature. (Note the folder name).
NOTE: Make sure that all of the people using the network folder have permission to access the folder, including the ability to write and change the contents of the folder.
Step : Two
Find the computer name on which the shared folder has been created, Perform these steps to find the computer name,
In XP or Win 2000 ==> Click on start ==> run and type ” cmd ” without quotes and click on ok. A command prompt window will open, type ” hostname ” without quotes and hit enter, it will display the name of the computer name (Note the computer name).
Step : Three
1. Verify the unit is connected to the network.
2. Print a Network Configuration Page on the unit and note the IP address.
3. Enter the IP address in the URL field of the web browser and hit enter, it will open printer information page/EWS.
4. In the EWS select the Settings tab and then select Direct Digital Filing Speed-dial
5. Friendly Name: Profile name, shown on the all-in-one display to identify different profiles ( OR ) any friendly name.
6. Network Path: ( \\pcname\foldername), PC name stands for host name, replace PC name with host name which was noted in step two above, and replace the folder name with the folder name noted in step one above. If you cannot access the PC name stated in the Path you can also try it by inserting the IP address instead of the PC Name.
7. Username: Username of user logged in to the Windows computer.
8. Password: Password for the User Account on the Windows computer.
9. PIN: Not necessary to configure, please leave it blank.
10. Now you can click the Add button to save the above settings.
Step : Four
1. Click the Digital Archive/Filing button on the all-in-one.
2. Select the profile saved previously, and then click OK .
3. Click Start Scan . If you are asked if you want to scan another page then all settings are working.
1) Some times there will no no password for the windows computer, then there is no need to enter the password in the password field in the EWS page. If password is there Just enter the password without the system name or username(Just a Password is requried).
2) In the Login name (User Name) also no need to enter the system name or hostname, Just enter the Windows User Login Name.
3) In the Network path also Just enter the computer name and the shared folder name, do not enter the full path for example :
\\computername\c:\mydocuments\scan , Network path to be entered like this
4) After performing the steps if the user is unable to scan to network folder, then try to disable the windows inbuilt firewall and also any third party firewall software installed and check the functionality OR check again with the username, password, pin no., network path, or friendly name. If it is not resolved then try to create the shared folder on another drive if available and try to scan to that folder by changing the folder name in network path and also provide full sharing permissions to that folder.
5) If the EWS page is not open, then there is no communication between the all in one and the computer, there should be the communication between the all in one and the computer to use the feature of Direct Digital Filing.
Other Information :
You can store up to ten network folders as speed-dial entries. Five entries are associated with the corresponding five speed-dial buttons on the control panel. You cannot set up group speed-dial entries. The Direct Digital Filing Speed-dial allows you to create folders to scan and store digital documents for speed-dial sending. Use the Friendly Name, Network Path, User Name, Password and Optional PIN fields to add a new Direct Digital Filing speed-dial entry.
a) To add or change an entry: Select an entry in the Direct Digital Filing Speed-dial Address Book, click the Edit button, make necessary changes, and then click Apply.
b) To delete an entry: Select the entry and then click the Delete button.
c) Click Apply when you are finished.
To scan to a shared folder :
1. Load the original on the scanner glass or in the automatic document feeder (ADF).
2. Press Digital Filing, and then do one of the following:
a )Select a destination from the speed-dial entries on the display.
b) Select a destination by pressing one of the five speed-dial buttons on the display.
NOTE: If a PIN has been set up for the speed-dial entry, you must enter your PIN before continuing.
3. Press START SCAN.
Direct Digital Filing specifications :
A) Scan a hardcopy original from the ADF or scanner glass to create a digital document (with network connection) that is placed in a network folder
B) Supports pre-programmed network folder path
C) Supports Digital Filing Speed-dials
D) Resolution: 75 dpi, 200 dpi, 300 dpi, 600 dpi
E) Supported file formats: PDF, JPG
F) Supported network configuration: TCP/IP network
If the issue persists, please contact us by visiting the following Web site. We will be glad to assist you further.